Public Service Announcement: Today is Final Voting Day in Markham
For immediate release
MARKHAM, ON – October 24, 2022 – It’s Final Voting Day in the 2022 Markham Municipal Election. Remote and in-person online voting is available until 8 PM EDT. All remote online voters logged in to the voting system at this time will have 20 minutes to finish voting. All voters in line at a one of the City’s 10 conveniently located Voting Places by 8 PM EDT will be able to complete their ballot.
Once every voter has finished voting, Elections Markham will begin preparing the election results. Results will be posted at ElectionsMarkham.ca/results after voting closes and both paper ballot and online ballots are counted. Throughout Final Voting Day, follow Markham’s Interactive Election Dashboard for the latest voter counts by ward and ballot type.
A Voter Information Letter is needed to vote. It has the voting web address and important instructions about how to vote. Those who have not received a Voter Information Letter, and are eligible to vote, may not be registered at their current address or at all.
To vote in the municipal election, a voter needs to be:
- A Canadian citizen;
- At least 18 years old;
- A Markham resident, property owner or tenant (or the spouse of one); and,
- Registered to vote.
Voters can register at ElectionsMarkham.ca/register until 7 PM EDT, or in person at any Voting Place in Markham before 8 PM EDT. Voters registering and/or voting in person are reminded to bring IDs with them to show election workers who they are.
Voters who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or are isolating won’t be allowed to enter a Voting Place, but are encouraged to vote online from the comfort and safety of their home to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
By voting in the municipal election, Markham voters are playing an important role in local democracy and help create a more vibrant, inclusive and diverse community.
Visit ElectionsMarkham.ca for the latest and most reliable information about the 2022 Markham Municipal Election.
The Voter Helpline is open on Final Voting Day from 8 AM to 8 PM EDT and offers support in more than 150 languages at 905.477.7000 x8683 (VOTE) or email@example.com. Voters can also get help by asking Election Markham’s Virtual Assistant or Amazon Alexa questions from wherever they are.
- “Today is Final Voting Day in Markham. Voters can conveniently cast their ballot by voting online from wherever they are or by touchscreen at any Voting Place in Markham until 8 PM EDT. I encourage all voters who haven’t cast a ballot yet to have their say in the 2022 Markham Municipal Election. Help shape local democracy and the future of our vibrant community.”
- Kimberley Kitteringham, City Clerk/Returning Officer, Elections Markham
- Markham was the first local municipality in Canada to offer online voting back in 2003 and continues to offer the longest running online voting program from coast-to-coast-to-coast today.
- Paper ballot voting was available on October 20, 21 and 22 at six Voting Places across Markham during Early voting Days, in addition to the Elections Markham Returning Office from October 14 to 22
- 4,941 Markham voters cast their vote by paper ballot during Early Voting Days
- Voters can download free assistive technology from Elections Markham to help them vote online remotely
- Voters who want to cast a ballot in person on Final Voting Day can vote at any Voting Place in Markham
– 30 –
Kisha Powell, Media Relations & Communications Specialist
About Elections Markham: Elections Markham is an independent, non-partisan division of the City of Markham, responsible for administering municipal elections, by-elections and referenda in Markham. Elections Markham strives to continue innovating its municipal elections, creating an accessible and inclusive experience, and empowering all voters to exercise their democratic right to vote. The City of Markham is a leader in digital democracy, is the first municipality in Canada to use online voting, and is the largest and longest-running lower-tier municipality nationwide to use online voting today.
About Markham: Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 356,000 residents and the largest of nine communities in York Region, is home to over 650 headquartered companies and more than 1,500 high tech and life science companies. Markham is a leader in attracting foreign direct investment with more than 234 foreign companies located in the City. Founded in the 1790s, today Markham is Canada’s most diverse community and enjoys a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy.